New Year means new batteries for those long forgotten, life saving devices called smoke alarms. It’s so easy to take them for granted; ignoring the battery low signals, or even removing the batteries altogether when the gadget acts up on us. Hardly a good choice when you think of the reason we have them in the first place. Here are a few things to keep in mind to be sure your smoke alarm continues to perform and keep you and your family safe!
- Change the back-up batteries every year.
- Check the EXPIRY DATE. Yes, they have one and yes that is one more thing to be concerned about.
- Never deactivate them while cooking.
- At least every few months, clean the dust from the alarm and push the test button.
- If you don’t have one, get one!
- Practice a fire drill with your family, an easy-to-remember escape route and meeting place outside.